Friday, November 18, 2011

Good News and Goodish News


Remember how I said the Tabloids wouldn't cover "Life With Autism"  because they couldn't find a negative angle?
Seems The Irish Daily Star did.....


Don't worry, I am using that "Selfish" headline on Mr Hammie every time he fails to bring me tea or a glass of wine..

I was also kind of perplexed to see a thread on a Special Needs Discussion board saying how sad it made them feel??

I was heartened to hear from the producer who said that the show had got HUGE viewing figures and she was delighted. I had hoped that this would mean the media could start telling positive stories about disability and special needs without losing ratings.

As the show is no longer on Real Player you can't watch it but hopefully someone might get it uploaded to vimeo so you can watch it yourself and judge.

In any case I had some really good news to share. I made it on to a Beauty Blog!

I was in the chemist on Monday night getting Gracie's prescription filled (at the last minute) and the Pharmacist very kindly offered to make up the first week while I waited. So with 10 minutes to fill I wandered over to the make-ups (as you do) and found this:


A quick google connected me to The Golden Hat Foundation which as Kristie from Beaut.ie explains:
"comes from Kate’s involvement with an Icelandic family, the son of whom, Keli Thorsteinsson, Kate met when she narrated a documentary on autism.
Non-verbal at the time, a poem Keli wrote contained the words ‘the golden hat’, and the issue touched her so much she created a foundation following the documentary" Lancome are donating $150,000 to the foundation as a result of the collaboration."

I was already in the market for a highlighter as my wintery skin needs a lift but traditional blusher seems to bring out those "20 years in the Australian sun" brown spots. Two good reasons to buy. When I explained to the girls in Sam McCauleys Greystones that I was the mother of 2 children with autism, they gave me a half size night cream as a gift!

The edit includes a magnificent rouge absolue for my blog sisters,  Wolf and WendyB but I would encourage all of you to seek it out and support it if you can. Everyone loves a good lippie, or:


Kristie has also given a great rap to Grace App and the "iPads4Autism.ie" recycling campaign for Autism Ireland in her post so I would encourage you to go over and thank her.

Lancome have been in touch (the power of social media!) and are donating some beautiful goodies to be raffled at the Keith Duffy Masked Ball in aid of Saplings and Autism Ireland. I'm going (advantage of sleeping with a member of the IAA board) and guess who will be buying loads of raffle tickets?

xx

3 comments:

Me said...

Awesome!
No one can accuse you of leading a dull life.

jazzygal said...

Fantastic! The power of Social media indeed:-)

xx Jazzy

iPads4Autism-ie said...

That is all wonderful news....and a good week's work! Thanks for the mention :-)